Do you crave a little taste of something sweet after dinner? Want something that tastes like everything you love best about the holidays? These sweet, spicy, chewy and crunchy ginger bites have all the holiday-flavored joy of a spicy molasses cookie but are way healthier! Plus, their bold flavor satisfies that sweet tooth after just one. I know those are reasons enough to make these but I’ll also add that the ingredients in these bites are super nutritional. Check out all the health benefits below. They are the perfect snack or after-dinner treat to keep you strong and healthy during the holiday season! Enjoy and let us know what you think!
- RAW HONEY is a probiotic and strengthens the immune system
- MOLASSES is a healthful sweetener that provides a variety of essential minerals
- CINNAMON is anti-microbial and helps control blood sugar
- GINGER provides gastrointestinal relief, aids digestion and has anti-inflammatory effects
- OATMEAL lowers LDL cholesterol and is an antioxidant
- WALNUTS help reduce metabolic problems and are good for the heart and circulatory system
A quick note on molasses: I used mild-flavored Brer Rabbit Molasses for this recipe. If you’re wondering about the differences in types of molasses (as I was), here’s a great little Q and A taken from the Brer Rabbit Molasses Company’s website:
Q: What are there the different grades of Brer Rabbit molasses?
A: Brer Rabbit molasses comes in three grades: Mild Flavor, Full Flavor and Blackstrap.
• Mild Flavor: Lightest color and is the sweetest, is used to sweeten hot cereals, yogurts, or hot drinks, like coffee, tea or hot cocoa
• Full Flavor: More concentrated and has a richer flavor than Mild, that is used in gingerbreads, cookies, pies, cakes, and glazes
• Blackstrap: Bold, robust flavor used in slow-cooked dishes, like such as baked beans or barbeque sauces. Blackstrap is also an excellent source of Calcium and Magnesium and a good source of Potassium.
That said, feel free to choose the type of molasses you prefer, keeping in mind that the “full-flavor” and “blackstrap” varieties are more nutritionally dense but less sweet than the “mild” flavor.